Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Apologies


I am very sorry for being remiss. It was not my intention to ignore my friends.

Although WM's suggestion that my vacation was a sort of rehab did hold a kernel of truth, that is not the main reason for my absence.

Much to my chagrin, I have been pulling my hair out for the past several weeks over my computer. You may recall that I mentioned on CC's blog that I built my own computer as a birthday present for myself. This was last November. It was a beautiful, purring, little kitten ... until about a month ago. Around then, I woke one morning to discover that it had shut off during the middle of the night. I had no idea why. I will spare you all of the details, but suffice it to say that, through much analysis, I discovered that it was not a hardware problem (much to my relief). Never-the-less, the problems kept compounding until I finally broke down and purchased a new 500 GB hard drive just so I could back up some critical files and install a new version of Windows Vista. It is this new version of Vista that I am currently running. It is my hope that I can successfully troubleshoot my problems with my original install. However, I am not optimistic. Given all of the time that I have spent working on it, I think it is most likely that I will just wind up reformatting my 10,000 RPM VelociRaptor drive. After which, I will have to simply start all over.

This is not something that I am happy to have to do, but it is not the worst thing. When I built this machine, it was because my old one crapped out. At least this time, I had the good sense to back everything up in multiples. It would take a major mechanical malfunction to cause the loss of all my critical data.

Anyway ... I again want to apologize for being absent. I have not abandoned this blog and I have managed to find the time to, at least, do the CX everyday. I have intended to chime into CC's blog many times. However, my computer woes have taken more time from my day than I am inclined to give and it all just continues to remind me of just why I did not opt to pursue a career in computer science.

3 comments:

windhover said...

PMT:
obviously, under the circumstances , no
apology required. It's just a great relief to know that the victim of this mini-tragedy was the machine and not the operator. See you whenever.
Larry

WM said...

YAY!!!!! I am so glad it was your computer, not you. I have all those mom worry genes, plus I love conspiracy theories and read a lot of mysteries...so my brain has been in overdrive.

We seriously missed you and your ascerbic wit...as I am sure you can tell, there have been emails flying back and forth due to blog comments of recent days and I am sure WH has bitten a hole through his tongue by now.

CA is off on her Thurs Costco run but has been notified of your return. I know she will be heartily pleased to "see" you again.

I have a beautiful day to paint...I am painting WH's farm...so must get going as I goofed on the computer way too much this morning.

Just know that we are elated to have you back...will return later this evening.

YAY..YAY...YAY....YAY!!!!!

Clear Ayes said...

Howdy Stranger, I just finished unpacking the groceries and checked my email. There were a couple of "zippedy-doo-dah" messages from WM and WH to let me know you had surfaced.

Thank goodness that you did.

WM is a worrier and was ready to start checking the Florida obits and/or to send an APB out for you.

Since you've been reading around the corner, you know that WH has been sinking in a mud pit of his own making. Tried to warn him, but he just wouldn't listen until it was too late.

I've just been sitting back and gleefully rubbing my hands together....it's just been getting better and better.

I used to work with some electronic technicians who built their own computers. They were all cranky, moody, sarcastic, divorced. Coincidence?

How are the animals?