Monday, June 15, 2009

London



Greetings from London,
I am sorry I haven't been able to keep you all up-to-date since leaving Poland, but Internet access aboard the ship was horrible. After wasting the afternoon running all over Copenhagen looking for a suitable WiFi, I decided that I was just going to enjoy the remainder of the trip and not waste anymore time chasing after Internet access.
Unfortunately, the auspicious start to our trip, with the lovely weather in Stockholm, did not bode well for our journey. Although they initially told us that the weather should improve in the next day or two, they abandoned that line fairly early into the cruise. Not only did the weather not improve, it got steadily worse as the cruise progressed. While we did get a sunny day in Tallin, Estonia, the wind was strong and cold(to make matters worse, I was not feeling well that particular day, so the wind really had me concerned and I was not in the best of spirits.) The wind was not as strong in Gdansk and it was not quite as cold, but it was windy and we had no sun and some rain. I liked Copenhagen a lot and actually enjoyed the hunt for the WiFi, but the highlight of the afternoon was the young blond who served me at Café Norden. He exhibited the confident friendliness and ease that only the very young and beautiful do. I gave him a nice tip; five Euros for not doing anything much other than smiling at me and letting me enjoy his baby-blue eyes. Berlin was a long trip by bus and the weather, again, was not good, more wind and rain. The excursion was 12 hours long. It was a three hour ride into Berlin and a three hour return trip. On the return, as we drew nearer to the coast, the wind really started howling. Not long after reboarding, the Captain fired up the engine and we began to push off to begin the next leg of the cruise, a passage through Germany's Kiel Canal. Well, about a half-hour later, we notice that there is a tug boat apparently push the ship's stern against the dock. We were trying to figure out why he was doing this when we shortly received an announcement from the Captain that, due to the bad weather, our departure would be delayed. When I woke up at 6:00am the following morning, we were still at the dock in Warnnemünde. This had me concerned. However, we launched shortly thereafter. Then, a couple of hour later we got the bad news. Due to the storm, there had been an inferno at the mouth of the Kiel Canal. Apparently, they keep large containers of paraffin store near the entry/exit. One or more of those had caught fire and they had to close the canal. Therefore, we were informed, the Captain had no alternative but to sail all the way around Denmark, putting us a day behind schedule.
As a result, we would arrive in Amsterdam a day late and, following our visit there, sail directly for Dover missing Bruges altogether. What luck!
Well, it has been a long strange trip, but it wasn't all bad. It was still fascinating to see all the great places. I DID walk around Amsterdam pretty well stoned all Sunday afternoon. I had not figured I would actually buy any weed or eat any of the baked goods, but there I was Sunday morning eating one of their famous pot muffins. "Space Muffins" they call them. They had "Space Muffins", "Space Brownies", "Space This", "Space That". They even have shops that blatantly advertise that they sell magic mushrooms. I passed on those. If I had had more time ....
I just had the best meal I have had in a long time, too. I had the good sense to ask the concierge for a recommendation for a good place to get curry and he made us a reservation at a place called Tamarai. If you ever come to London and you want curry, you must eat at this place. It was fantastic.

3 comments:

windhover said...

Promise:
Sounds like you've had a James Taylor vacation experience; fire and rain. My guess is it's never boring anywhere you happen to be. I hope the rest of your trip is idyllic. As much as I have enjoyed the few vacations I've taken, all were made sweeter by sleeping in my own bed again at the end. Thanks for taking the time you have to share with us

WM said...

PromiseMe...I messed up about London and you will probably be home by the time you get this. If you were in Southwark by the EYE then you were right near the absolute best open air market in all of London and near the Globe theatre and a couple of really old pubs...Neal's Yard Dairy is right near the Borough Market which has essentially been in existence sinece the Middle Ages. It was the "staging" point for all of the products comming in from the South of England, France, Spain, Portugal, etc. Things were then ferried across the Thames to the "city"...Borough Market is fabulous...again, big apologies. DRAT! I'll eat worms for that one!

It sounds like you have had some unique and unusual experiences but that seems about right for you. So glad you found some awesome Curry...the Brits and Scots DO like their curry. If you ever make it to Edinburgh I'll give you a couple of seriously awesome places...Glasgow too.

The detour was interesting and I can't believe that you found a newsclip!

Sorry we haven't been commenting much..seems we have all been a tad busy and we have missed you terribly. Hope that you're overview of the trip was that it was fabulous and that you have targeted some special places(the Hermitage?) for a more focused revisit. I think that one has to always be up for whatever life hands you, especially when you travel, or disappointment will dog your heels...sometimes the exception becomes the best memory.

I am looking forward to catching up with things once you have un-jet-lagged. :o)

Clear Ayes said...

PMT, Mea Culpa! I guess we all need your input to spark our "Let's talk about it" brain synapses. The mood around the corner has been pretty calm, so there hasn't been much to be irked or fascinated by. Well, Chastity Bono was mentioned and I tried to point out the differences between homosexuality and gender identification, but didn't want to take it too far.

Lucky you in Amsterdam. If there had been muffins for sale when my sister and I were there, I probably would have indulged. Unfortunately for us, the heroin addict in the train station didn't make any kind of mind alterations very appealing. Then, there was the promise I had made to our father, that I wouldn't let little sis get arrested ala Midnight Express. Dad did have a tendency to over-worry an imaginary scenario.

I was sorry to hear about the weather. I know you planned the trip for optimum weather. June should have been busting out all over and mostly you got cold and soggy.

It looks like your time in London was clear, if not warm. The "Eye" is really a great way to get a top-of-the-world look at London. London is one of my favorite places. I've never been to the open air market you were talking about, WM. I wish I had. We have spent a lot of time in Harrod's food court though. It is a feast for the eyes and so many tasty goodies too.

I'm not a curry fan. I think it is an acquired taste, or one that you have to grow up with. I guess I spent too much of my youth with milder Scandinavian fare.

Welcome home and as WH said, enjoy those first post vacation sleeps back in your own bed.