Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scandinavian Skies

[Place picture holder here]

Well, the weather turned on us yesterday and we spent our last day in Stockholm under gray skies with moderate wind and rain. While it put a bit of a damper on things, it did not deter us altogether. Thankfully, we were scheduled for a bus tour so we were not out in it much at all. Unfortunately, the bad weather has affected the entire region and we had more of the same all the way to Helsinki. Consequently, we didn't get to enjoy seeing the Fins have fun in the sun the way we did the Swedes. Never-the-less, our day in Helsinki was terrific. Not only did we get to see the Orthodox church that I posted a picture of five or six weeks ago, but we also got to visit the monument erected in memory of Jean Sibelius.
The weather is supposed to be the same tomorrow and we have two tours; The Highlights of St. Petersburg in the morning and An Evening of Russian Ballet (Swan Lake). The first one is by bus and the other is indoors, so the weather will not impact them. I just would like a little sun so that I can take better pictures. We will be getting back fairly late, but I will try to post. I do not want to put it off until the next day because we have two excursions that day as well: The Hermitage in the morning and A Grand Imperial Evening of the Tsars. Saturday morning we go to visit the Grand Palace of Peter The Great - Peterhof. So, I am going to be quite busy until Saturday afternoon. Like I said, I will do my best to post nightly.

Sorry no picture. I will try again tomorrow, but this slow ship connection is just eating up my minutes trying to post the picture.

Regards,
PMT

1 comment:

WM said...

PMT...this is just so awesome and your written description fills in well for missing photos, which you can always share later...I appreciate that you appreciate Sibelius...and I am so excited that you are going to the Hermitage...please look an extra bit for me...that is going to be an incredible experience...The Ballet should be amazing and I am very interested in hearing about the Tsars evening...sounds intriguing. Maybe a fabulous dinner and entertainment on offer?

That church was beautiful so it is wonderful that you actually got to see it! Even just the writing helps me to imagine all the wonderful things you are seeing and experiencing...I find that keeping a basic small journal of my trips helps me to remember details...so let this be your journal...I am treasuring every day of your journey.

Eagerly looking forward to your next installment.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy....WM