Sunday, May 31, 2009

Good Luck, Bad Luck and Mandelpotatis

Residents and guests of Stockholm enjoy the nice weather during the 2009 Stockholm Marathon.

Last night, I decided we must have brunch at this gay restaurant that I read about, named Intakt. On Sundays they serve a late brunch, so it sounded perfect. I even read their menu on their website and knew just what I planned to order: Herring with Lingonberries and potatoes. I wanted this because it seemed particularly Swedish.
Well, I had already figured out the Metro enough to know the way to the vicinity of the restaurang (that's the Swedish spelling, btw) and figured I could just ask someone once we were close. Wouldn't you know it, of the many people I asked who were working in the area, nobody had heard of it. After about 45-minutes of wandering around I finally found it right within sight of the main street ... and they were closed. Apparently they are in the midst of moving to a new location nearby. Since I was in the mood for fisk (again Swedish spelling) we decided not to eat at some other restaurang in the area and headed back to eat in the restaurang at our hotel. We had eaten there the night before and it was quite tasty. They also had fried herrings with lingonberries and potato puree on the menu, so at least I got what I wanted to eat for lunch. Well, no luck on the gay restaraung, but good luck on the meal. Also, at the start of the hunt for Intakt, the first person I asked about it (a young woman cashier at the Espress0 House) asked if we were tourists and then informed us that we were quite lucky to come when we did since the weather was so nice. Apparently, it was very cold here just last week. I am very happy that our timing was auspicious. It would be a totally different experience if it was really cold out.
Our mixed luck, continued with dinner. Once again, I was determined to eat at either a gay or gay-friendly restaurang. I picked this place on Gamla Stan that has been in existence since 1922 called Cattelins. Once again, I consulted their menu online and knew what I wanted to have for dinner. I was planning to start with Carpaccio of Elk with Parmesan, Ruccola, Olive Oil and then, since we ate lunch so late, Rich and I were going to split an order of Swedish Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes served with Cream Ridge/ Lingon Berry Jam. Having decided all that I then noticed that their website said they were closed on Sundays :(
Ah, but then I noticed that the site was out of date and that it had their winter hours listed. So I gave them a call and sure enough they were open. They guy told me we did not need a reservation, we could just come on over. Well, once we stepped out of the Metro station nearest the restaurang, we saw a another restaurang flying a gay flag, so we asked a gentleman sitting out front if he knew where Cattelins was. He did. Thankfully, unlike our hunt for the late brunch place, we found Cattelins, fairly soon. But wouldn't you know it, THEY WERE CLOSED. The guy there told us that the chef had a family emergency and had to leave. The restaurang thang was just not happening today.
It worked out okay, though. We just headed backed to the place where we asked the guy for directions. It is called Torget. Rich had what they called a Seafood Casserole, but was actually a stew and I had a lovely Lightly Salted Cod with Potatoes.

They are very big on potatoes here in Sweden. Late last night, I raided the mini bar and discovered these wonderful potato chips that are made from little potatoes called, 'Mandelpotatis'. The name literally means, 'Almond Potatoes'. They grow them in the northernmost county of Seden called Norrbotten. The extreme cold from the long winters keeps them free from harmful bacteria and the midnight sun during the summer matures them to perfection. I asked my waiter if all the potatoes that they serve at the restaurants in Stockholm come from Norrbotten and he said "no". That they grow them all over Sweden. He didn't really seem very well informed about the 'Mandelpotatis'in particular.



10 comments:

Auntie Naomi said...

Rumor has it that 'Freckled-Dick Björn' did, in fact, drop dead during the marathon. I have not actually confirmed that at this time.
However, the Official Site of the 2009 Stockholm Marathon does confirm that Paul Kipkemei Kogo, a native of Kenya, was the winner.

WM said...

PMT...another stunning photo and now I entirely understand your absence from the blogs for a month...you researcher you...I am so glad that things essentially worked out, but saddened that you didn't get a chance to eat in places you were interested in. I tend to check out a few things in advance but like to rely on chance discovery and some educated (say guidebook) info to head into a particular area of a city that might interest. me...I really love that chance discovery of a little restaurant tucked away in a neighborhood that I might not have known about.

Your research must have been awesome since you had even planned out menus...I also like to have regional dishes to help me understand where I am visiting. It is good that you were able to get similar food...which, by the way sounds seriously yummy.

Too bad about 'Freckled-dick Bjorn'...What were the odds?

Onward and upward...this is certainly a vicarious adventure for me and I'm lovin' it.

Clear Ayes said...

I'm back in the blogging business. Even a couple of days without service was difficult to manage.

PMT, Can you believe I am homesick for Sweden? The weather looks like it has been spectacular.

Two trips ago, Fred and I went by boat to Fjäderholmarna, also known as the Feather Islands, in the archipelago. We had stekt strömming (fried herring) and small new potatoes for lunch at the dockside restaurang. It was delicious. We were also treated to a half dozen freshly boiled crawfish that were being prepared outside, behind the kitchen. "Suck out the head", I was instructed. Why not? When in Rome, or Fjäderholmarna, I thought. I wasn't sorry, Who would have thought that crustacean heads were so juicy and tasty?

I wasn't familiar with mandelpotatis, so I googled it. Translated Wikipedia article is interesting and amusing.

I wouldn't think that finding a gay-friendly restaurant would be a problem in live-and-let-live Sweden.

Keep blogging for us. We are a very willing and easily pleased audience.

Clear Ayes said...

Oh yes, being a little freer and easier on this corner....

I was a little surprised that Thomas took up Jeannie's interest. I don't want to say "battle", that sounds so belligerent and I don't mean that, and don't want it to be perceived that way. I just don't think she would have asked him to intercede, or speak on her behalf. If it were me, I wouldn't want anyone else speaking for me without my permission. But, I could be wrong....it wouldn't be the first, or last, time.

At any rate, I thought she was very gracious when she posted her own comment.

Thomas seemed to be angry for reasons of his own too. There has been quite a bit of bad feelings out there lately and Thomas seems to be the latest one. I only vaguely recall his post(s) about sailing vessels. I'm sure I read what he wrote, but sailing isn't something I am ever going to do. At the time, I probably thought he wrote for Jeannie's benefit. I know that she owns a boat and enjoys sailing. I was sorry to see that he felt his efforts were not appreciated.

I hope we can return to commenting about the puzzle, adding our own take on personal interests, and (as in Sweden) live and let live in all other things.

Jeannie said...

You are correct Clearayes, that I did in no way have Thomas intercede for me. As far as I was concerned it was all water under the bridge. I was actually really pissed off when I was alerted to it. What really pissed me off the most was his attack on Dennis as I am in regular contact with him and consider him one of my friends. Thomas, I think is a needy person who was mostly pissed off for not having one of his posts answered. Believe me, he got an e-mail from me letting him know just what I thought. Thanks for acknowledging my post as gracious. I wasn’t going to say anything at all but couldn’t help myself.

PMT, sounds like your trip is turning out just fine. You and Rich enjoy yourselves.

WM said...

Heya Jeannie...very good to see you and have missed your witty comments. I don't believe that anyone really thought that you were involved with the Thomas thing and I think you have nailed his "problem". Some people don't get that a blog is different than a chat room...

You should join us here for our vicarious enjoyment of PMT's vacation...I, for one, count it as a learning adventure.

You are proving yourself to be a very classy lady...so don't be a stranger.

PMT...anxiously awaiting next installment...:o)

Clear Ayes said...

Hi Jeannie, I'm glad to hear from you..and I have been glad to see to commenting around the corner.

If PMT isn't too busy we should be hearing from him and seeing some photos from his travels.

His stop in Stockholm really has had me thinking about how beautiful Sweden is. My photo is one that was taken outside of Ludvika, which is a city west of Stockholm. One of my cousins lives there. When we were there in 2007, she took us on a tour of an old mining site. It was in early June and the weather and foliage was just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Either way we all win in the end.. [url=http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr]Canada Goose[/url] On the lake expect to see Canada goose, wood duck, coot, great egret, and pied-billed grebe. After his election as German King in 1152, Friedrich I nominated Frankfurt as the place for the election of future kings. Study hard, and make straight A's.
One hardly wants to jam a child into endless hours of practice if they are not truly passionate about the piano, tennis or an academic discipline. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose chilliwack bomber[/url] Before you transact with them be sure on the reliable content of the sites.. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose[/url]
http://flyballbags.com More tags: Christian Louboutin Heels Alexander Wang Shoes Christian Louboutin Pumps Christian Louboutin Black Manolo Blahnik Wedding Shoes Manolo Blahnik Something Blue Satin Bridal Wedding Shoes Herve Leger Dress Gianmarco Lorenzi Shoes Christian Louboutin Coussin 140 Basketweave Sandal Bootie Black Christian Louboutin Daf Booty 160mm Leopard Christian Louboutin Daffodile 160mm Aurora Boreale Pumps Christian Louboutin Daffodile Stardust Platform Pumps Christian Louboutin Daffodile Aurora Boreale 160mm Pumps [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre tour knockoffs[/url]

Anonymous said...

Her tenure as environment minister has been shaky, particularly since Canada was in the chairing position at the World Conference on Climate Change at the time of the election and her appointment to cabinet. [url=http://www.vanessasac.com]vanessa bruno Pas Cher[/url] There are not a lot of reliable water sources, so unless you have a filter make sure you bring plenty to drink. Principal the bungalow upon life holds you back Canada Goose Trillium Parka were unable to give the rather seriousness of there is much surprise generally previously owned. My brother-in-law got throat cancer from smoking.
You might call me jealous.. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose outlet[/url] Website design and graphic design both are combined together to create mesmerizing websites that attracts users. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose for sale[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose online[/url] Teri Bauer 24 (2002)Teri Bauer (Leslie Hope) had a lousy day: Her daughter Kim (Elisha Cuthbert) went missing, was later kidnapped, Teri herself was kidnapped, then she was raped, found out her husband Jack (Kiefer Sutherland) mistress was his fellow secret agent Nina Myers (Sarah Clarke), then suffered some form of temporary amnesia. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]monster beats by dre solo hd review cnet[/url]

Anonymous said...

Marine waters are home to killer whales, harp seals and the bowhead whale. http://www.2012canadagoosepascher.fr You can also get free latitude and longitude coordinates from the topographical map and set your GPS. Actors: Charles Heung: Po Chin Ð’. Thankfully, in certain regions like the Gaspesie and further north, there was enough rain and alternate sunny weather for decent wild harvests.
This Phen375 review will even demonstrate whether it really able to assisting you slim down effectively and securely. [url=http://www.icanadagooseca.com]canada goose jackets[/url] People like these fashion handbags even more as they are suitable for any occasion.. [url=http://officialcanadagoosesoutlet.ca]canada goose for sale[/url]
[url=http://flyballbags.com]canada goose jacket[/url] Certainly the AR n-average…See More13 minutes agovhgasdnbv, londongpike, sallysally lin and 4 more joined Soul Commune16 minutes agojing fang posted a blog postquality apparels from leading designer brands at affordable costsA treat for onlineshoppers Shopping is absolutely certainly one of probably the most loved activities to become carried out inside the leisure time Louis Vuitton official website of people. [url=http://www.onlinebeatsbydreoutlet.com]beats by dre lil wayne edition price[/url]